- RSS Channel Showcase 5078302
- RSS Channel Showcase 7467255
- RSS Channel Showcase 7721527
- RSS Channel Showcase 4346364
Articles on this Page
- 06/28/13--12:53: _Read Daily…
- 06/30/13--18:35: _The Great Bikini De...
- 07/01/13--04:57: _Why your reputation...
- 07/01/13--09:04: _Most Churches are S...
- 07/01/13--20:24: _The Great Bikini De...
- 07/01/13--22:08: _New Staff Parent Le...
- 07/01/13--23:22: _Everyday Parables: ...
- 07/02/13--08:30: _Junior Highers: Nor...
- 07/02/13--11:25: _TRAITS OF AN “ON LI...
- 07/02/13--12:36: _Senior Pastor Persp...
- 07/03/13--05:59: _I Became The Missio...
- 07/03/13--09:47: _Your Junior Highers...
- 07/03/13--11:57: _3 Reasons Your Past...
- 07/03/13--21:39: _My Freedom
- 07/04/13--09:14: _Don’t Read This (If...
- 07/05/13--06:45: _A Pep Talk To Use F...
- 07/05/13--07:03: _FlightTrack Pro…FREE
- 07/05/13--12:12: _Want to Get Fired?
- 07/08/13--20:04: _Don’t be “That Parent”
- 07/09/13--06:14: _The Ministry Curse ...
- 06/28/13--12:53: Read Daily…
- 06/30/13--18:35: The Great Bikini Debate: Part One
- 07/01/13--04:57: Why your reputation is more important than your reputation
- 07/01/13--09:04: Most Churches are Small, BTW.
- 07/01/13--20:24: The Great Bikini Debate: Part 2
- 07/01/13--22:08: New Staff Parent Letter
- 07/01/13--23:22: Everyday Parables: Sinful Colors
- 07/02/13--08:30: Junior Highers: Normalize But Don’t Generalize
- 07/02/13--11:25: TRAITS OF AN “ON LIFE SUPPORT” SMALL #UTHMIN:
- 07/02/13--12:36: Senior Pastor Perspective: Four Questions You Need To Ask
- 07/03/13--05:59: I Became The Missions Trip
- 07/03/13--09:47: Your Junior Highers Can Spend a Year With Jesus!
- 07/03/13--11:57: 3 Reasons Your Pastor Won’t Esteem College Ministry
- 07/03/13--21:39: My Freedom
- 07/04/13--09:14: Don’t Read This (If You’re An American)
- 07/05/13--06:45: A Pep Talk To Use For Training
- 07/05/13--07:03: FlightTrack Pro…FREE
- 07/05/13--12:12: Want to Get Fired?
- 07/08/13--20:04: Don’t be “That Parent”
- 07/09/13--06:14: The Ministry Curse Words…
I think it was at a Willow Creek Leadership Summit several years about that Bill Hybles (http://twitter.com/#!/BillHybels) challenged me to “Read for 30 minutes a day.“ I know this is a DUH statement but, “reading helps me be a better thinker.” It is just like watching other pastors teach, I am challenge by their ideas, it [...]
How many of us remember “Baywatch?” The series spanning over a decade was known for it’s beautiful lifeguards jogging toward the water to save some poor drowning soul. The running joke of course was that no one cared about the plot. Guys wanted to see the very buxom Pamela Anderson and [...]
It takes a lifetime to build a reputation, and a moment to destroy it. Have you ever considered what that actually means? Some things you can’t seem to fully recover from: Paula Deen was fired from the Food Network and took a huge hit professionally for racial slurs and jokes from the past. King Saul turned [...]
Most Churches are Small, BTW. Unless you’ve been in one of my training sessions, you may not know this: 90% of churches in America have 300 members or less. That’s membership, not Sunday worship average which would make that number significantly lower. You’ve heard me say a gazillion times that the average size membership in [...]
Not long ago a youth pastors forum I am a part of discussed the “bikini” issue. It became a lively debate on how each of us handled the topic. My favorite response was from a guy who currently serves in Europe. He talked of culture responding, “I wish they would wear two pieces here. Yes [...]
I recently hired a junior high pastor for our church. The process was long and tiring but now I am nearing the finish line…just one more thing to do before I close this file. I need to communicate the hire. The levels I need to communicate to are: My team (Verbal Communication) Church Staff (Digital [...]
Jesus used “everyday” material for His parables to tell people about the Kingdom of God. You can teach your students and leaders to do the same thing by snagging pictures with your camera phone, throwing up on the screen and asking “What message or values does this communicate?” You can even bring them into this [...]
One of the best things we can do for junior highers is to normalize their experiences. One of the worst things we can do for junior highers is to generalize them….to assume they are all basically the same. When we normalize in a healthy way, junior highers begin to realize stuff like: - “I’m not [...]
I’m in churches all the time because of my consulting work with Ministry Architects. The church sizes vary from “ginormous” to “could fit into a 15-seater van if we were still allowed to use those.” But small churches are my first love and here’s what I see that breaks my heart. 1) Too Close-Knit: Its [...]
A healthy relationship with your senior pastor is a core part of a healthy youth ministry. It doesn’t matter if your church is large, medium, small or a start-up – your roles can powerfully complement each other if you each discern how to powerfully compliment each other. A lot gets in the way of that, [...]
As many of us attempt to get our students serving this summer, there is often a “trip” of some kind planned. We plan, give packing lists, and prepare their hearts for what’s ahead. As the youth leader we are very focused on what OUR youth will get out of their time, and how it will [...]
I’m beyond excited about the brand new LIVE; YEAR WITH JESUS small group curriculum! Two big reasons: * Because most “junior high” ministries are now actually middle school focused, there has been a need for a third year of material for this age group. While this study can be used for any age group, it [...]
In my experience college ministry is viewed by most pastors as a luxury, not a necessity. That is, unless your pastor has kids that age. But the truth is in most contexts it’s not seen as a necessary ministry for a healthy growing church. In this way it’s entirely different than children’s and student ministry. [...]
I’m Stephanie. I’m new to MTDB. I don’t know many of you. You don’t know me. But here’s my heart on the eve of July 4th, 2013. It won’t be theologically brilliant, nor youth ministry philosophy astounding. Its just what’s in my head tonight and I want to post it in honor of tomorrow. A [...]
It’s the 4th of July. In America, it’s a national holiday. If you’re reading this from another country, enjoy your day. This may not apply to you. (But feel free to let it apply to you.) But if you’re an American… you don’t need to be reading this today. It’s okay to tell your students, [...]
You have probably seen this. It isn’t particularly new, but a friend of mine put this on my Facebook wall last week and I loved it. Not only did it make me laugh it made me realize I could use it with students, volunteers, and as a training tool. Watch it. Laugh. Watch it again. [...]
I am a fan of the iPhone app FlightTrack Pro and TripIt. I seem to have seasons of busy travel and these apps help keep all my travel plans centrally located. TripIt is free, if you don’t mind ads, but FlightTrack Pro is $10 (their is a $5 version…but go big or go home!). TripIt takes your trip details [...]
If your aim is to get fired from your job at your church, do these five things: 1) Whine all the time: Complain about how you can’t get any help, the SP doesn’t understand your job, or how some families are out to get you. Please don’t develop a Phil 4:4 attitude. 2) Blame other [...]
YOUTH WORKERS: I realize that mostly youth workers will read this post. Not sure how you’re going to “accidentally” send the link to the parents who will need to see this most…maybe a typo in the bulletin? PARENTS: Moms and Dads: You love your teenager. You want the best for them from their experience at [...]
It has happened to me. Lying in bed at night exhausted and spent staring at the ceiling I wonder “why” I’m in ministry anymore. Honestly, in various seasons of life the push has been different. Sometimes I have lost sight of the reality my calling is to my Savior not to my “to [...]